The SMTC and NYSDOT are planning numerous events and activities to make the public an integral part of The I-81 Challenge. We've recently launched a blog and released a series of education presentations, and we'll be holding public workshops in early May. Be sure to check back here for more updates.
- The SMTC and the NYSDOT will be holding the first round of public workshops for The I-81 Challenge in early May. More details here.
- The Spring 2011 Newsletter is hot off the press. Click here to download a copy.
- The I-81 Challenge is now on Facebook. Visit the page.
- The SMTC has produced a two-part video series about I-81. Watch the videos here.
- The SMTC launches a new Blog to engage a broader audience in The I-81 Challenge. Read about project updates, case studies, event announcements, among other things. Check it out here.
- Two new committees formed to strengthen communication channels throughout the Syracuse region. The Community Liaison Committee (CLC) is made up of representatives from various local community organizations and the Municipal Liaison Committee (MLC) consists of representatives of municipalities within the SMTC planning area. To read more about the role of these committees, click here.
- NYSDOT publishes the first major technical document of The I-81 Challenge, Tech Memo #1: Physical Conditions Analysis. The Tech Memo documents existing physical conditions in the I-81 corridor. To read more about major findings from the Tech Memo, click here.
- New questionnaire launched to gather feedback on how people use I-81, how they feel it affects the region, and what they want to achieve with its future.
- The SMTC recruits for a Community Liaison Committee to provide input on community concerns, as well as help get the word out about The I-81 Challenge. All organizations with an interest in the future of I-81 were encouraged to submit an application by January 31, 2011.
- New - Get project updates sent straight to your inbox with SMTC's new email announcements.
- New - Watch WCNY's three-part series examining The I-81 Challenge – Get the full story behind one the most important projects in our region's future. See all three episodes: Learn 'The History' (27 minutes), get 'The Plan' (27 minutes), and hear 'The People Speak' (27 minutes). This series is part of WNET's Blueprint America investigating the state of America's critical infrastructure.
- New www.thei81challenge.org website launched – SMTC has recently launched a revised website for The I-81 Challenge. The new site includes a fresh new look and will incorporate more interactive features to engage the public.
- New project team to lead The I-81 Challenge Public Participation effort Phase 2 and 3 – SMTC has contracted with Howard/Stein-Hudson Associates (HSH), a nationally-recognized leader in public involvement, to manage the Phase 2 and Phase 3 Public Participation effort for the I-81 Challenge over the next 18 months. Assisting HSH are sub-consultants C&S Engineers and Resource Systems Group (RSG).
- The SMTC releases a report on Case Studies for Urban Freeways - This report examines the challenges faced by other cities and regions with urban freeways. Eleven completed projects and eight projects in the planning or design stage are included in the report.